Sunday, 24 February 2013

Meatless March

     Starting March 1st, I've decided to not eat meat for a month (hence the title). There's a couple reasons for this decision, most've which are pretty well explained in this video by the wonderful Hank Green.

     I also like the idea that I'll be able to learn more about self control and increase my will power. Refusing myself a single indulgence is going to force me to become more creative in the things I eat, and start to try new things. As well, it'll force me to eat healthier, because I'll be more aware of my diet.

     I think my biggest challenge with this project will be eating certain foods while I watch my family -who is definitely not going vegetarian along with me- eat the meat. As well, in my family, there are a lot of birthdays in March and I don't want to be rude and reject the food they prepare for their parties or be a nuisance by needing something different. This is not even to mention that I'm Italian: we eat meat with everything. My friend put it quite well: "[He's] Italian: Our sauce has meat in it and we put our sauce on our meat."

     Ultimately, I won't really change much, but I like that I'll have at least tried this, and made an extra effort to help our planet. I'll be blogging throughout the month and I encourage anyone reading this who's been wanting to challenge themselves to join me for this crazy ride.

Hoping for the best
-Kimzy

2 comments: